The American medical and health laws can be pretty strict until you consider what other people have gone through in other countries. In the U.S. sanitization is taken very seriously (or it’s supposed to be) in hospitals but overseas sterile environments are not the standard and can sometimes be the exception.

A video of a 25-year-old bus crash victim who had his foot amputated recently has gone global and has forced authorities in Uttar Pradesh, India to take drastic actions against a hospital and medical provider.

Ghanshyam Singh and 25 school children were injured when they were involved in a bus accident that forced Singh’s foot to be amputated due to his injuries. When his brother-in-law showed up to Maharani Laxmibai Medical College after receiving the news of Singh’s accident, he was shocked at what he saw.

“When we reached the hospital, we saw his leg being used as a headrest,” Janaki Prasad said.

The doctors had placed Singh’s amputated foot under his head as a pillow.

“I repeatedly asked the doctors to intervene but they refused,” Prasad said.
“Finally, after about two hours, I managed to get a pillow for him from the market and that’s when the leg was removed.”

The Medical Education Ministry has suspended an “emergency medical officer,” senior resident, and two nurses that were involved in the care of Singh.

Warning: Graphic Video:

It’s difficult to tell in the footage if Singh knew what was being used to prop his head up but he was likely on some kind of medication after the surgery so even if he was told he was likely unaware of his surroundings.

SHARE this story on Facebook…