During an interview Yamashita recounted the incident and said, “I just got out my car and I was ready to play basketball, but I just wanted to take a few puffs of vape before I played. As soon as I took that first rip, it just blew up in my face. My right hand was burning, it was black.”
Yamashita needed 40 stitches after the incident, and he will need to undergo surgery in the future for dental implants.
Shockingly, this incident certainly isn’t the first time an e-cigarette has exploded in this fashion, and experts say that people “should use devices with industry approved safety features in order to avoid future accidents.”
It looks like e-cigarettes aren’t a safe alternative after all.